Have you ever wanted to start blogging but weren’t sure how to do it or if it was even worth it? Well, content marketing, such as blogs, costs 62% less than traditional marketing, and on average generates 3 times as many leads. In addition, companies that blog typically have 55% more website visitors. So as you can see blogging is worth it. But how do you start blogging? Well, in this article I’m going to give you 4 easy steps to start blogging today.
- Get blogging software. There are tons of software out there that will help you to start blogging today. And there are two paths you can take with this. One is to have the blog physically located on your website. And the other is to have your blog not on your website. There is software out there that you can sign up for and start blogging but it doesn’t show up on your own website. My suggestion is to have your blog show up on your website. The reason is that you’ll get blog visitors spilling over to the other pages of your website. Which can lead to more leads, sales, and customers. Plus having the blog on your website will send positive signals to search engines, such as Google, and therefore improve your search rankings.
My top suggestion for blogging software is WordPress. It’s the most popular, and sort of the “go to” blogging platform. In fact, about 60% of blogs are WordPress.
If you need help setting up your blogging software, reach out to our Tampa web design company. We’ve set up, designed, and developed 100s of blogs.
- Create a schedule. Once you’ve decided on your blogging software you’ll want to create a schedule of how often you want to post blogs. I would suggest at least 1-2 times a week. And when you’re first starting out you may want to write a blog post every day for a few weeks. This will then seed your blog with a good number of articles and then you can do a less strenuous schedule. The important point here is that you should have a schedule and stick to it. In order for blogging to work you need to be consistent.
- Write your blog posts. How you write or type your posts depends on your software. But an easy shortcut is to type your blog post in something like Microsoft Word, and then copy & paste it into your blog software.
So what do you write and include? Here are some key things you want to take into account.
- Consistent subject matter. You should be consistent on what you’re writing about. Write about the same subjects and make sure those subjects relate to your company or industry. To get ideals on what to write about, check out other blogs in your industry.
- Lots of words. It’s better to write longer blog posts. The ideal length for a blog post is about 1,0000 to 3,000 words. The reason I’m suggesting this is that the average length of a blog post that ranks in the top 10 in Google is about 2,500 words.
- Include an image. Include at least one image in your blog post. This helps because readers want to see something visual. Additionally, when your blog posts get shared on social media websites, if you have an image that image gets shared. And shared posts on social media that contain an image get more clicks. So that means more people will view your blog post.
- Include links. You’ll want to have a few links in your blog post. Linking back to other web pages on your own website will help with it’s ranking in Google. And linking to other reputable sources will help make your blog post more credible in both the eyes of readers and search engines, like Google.
- Promote your blog posts. This is one of the more important steps. And a step most people tend to overlook. After publishing each blog post you should promote it as widely as you can. Here are 3 free places that I suggest you promote your blog posts every time you publish
- Your email list. Send out your blog to everyone on your email lists. These lists can include past and current clients, as well as friends and family.
- Post to social media. Post a link to your new blog post on all of your company’s social media accounts. Additionally, post it to your personal account. Posting to social media also helps with SEO (search engine optimization). Google and other search engines look at the number of shares blog posts get and use that as part of their overall algorithm for determining where a web page rankings in search results.
If you need help getting your blog started contact is for a free evaluation, where we can go over in more detail these steps and create an exact plan for your company.